Nikon Repair Experience – November 2016

So I managed to screw up the lens mount on my D5.  This post will track its progress through the system.  I have had one good, rapid repair experience with Nikon, one kind of okay experience that took a while, and one that was absolutely awful where they had a lens of mine tied up for almost four months with no status updates.  So we’ll see how this one goes.

November 8. 2016:  Created a repair case at the Nikon website.  They provided a packing slip instructing me to send it to the Los Angeles facility.

November 9, 2016:  Sent the camera via UPS Ground (insured, of course).  It is scheduled to arrive on November 14th.

November 14, 2016:  Package arrived, signed for by “VELASQUEZ” according to UPS website.

November 17, 2016:  earlier today, I put in a support ticket on the Nikon website asking for a status update.  Just got an email from their service system that the camera is now in “Estimate Accepted” stage, and the order number that they enclosed works as well so I can track status.

November 22, 2016:  Ticket is now in “Shop” status.

November 28, 2016:  Ticket is now in “Billing” status.

November 28, 2016:  Ticket is now in “Shipped” status with a tracking number.  Guess I get my camera back Friday!  Will update once more once I check it out.

December 2, 2016:  Picked my camera up from UPS depot.  Level “C” repair (that is pretty major for Nikon).  New lens mount and various adjustments, sensor cleaning, and firmware upgrade (I didn’t know that there was a new firmware, but sure whatever… maybe lens definitions or something).  Everything seems to work.  I will be making sure next week when we start the new derby season!


This entry was posted in Photo-losophy. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.